IT’S MY 25TH BIRTHDAY!
To celebrate my birthday, I’m sharing with you 25 lessons life has taught me. I’m so excited to celebrate my 25th birthday with you guys. I’ve been through a lot my 25 years, but that doesn’t mean I know everything. I can say that life’s challenges have taught me things I’m glad I’ve experienced now so if I ever go through it again, I know how to handle or approach the situation.
I honestly can’t believe I’m turning 25. I get a lot of, “Oh, you’re so young” “You haven’t experienced a lot yet.” I feel some kind of way when people express that me for so many reasons:
1. Who are you to say that I haven’t and have experienced?
2. I’m a mature 25 year -old.
3. Do you even know me to judge me?
Since I’m turning 25, I decided to share some old photos and 25 lessons life has taught me.
1. You can’t change anybody. I learned this while in a relationship and also ending it. Change has to come from within. All you can do is be an influence on someone’s life.
2. Love yourself girl or nobody will. Listen. J. Cole said it best in his song, “Crooked Smile”. I’ve held on to that for years but didn’t realize or experience it until I went through self-esteem issues and actually believing what others said.
3. Finance now, flirt later. Chileeee this is important. I know. I love to spend money. I love to shop, but I don’t know how to budget. I would love to invest in stocks and learn more financially. I wish I would’ve known more than about finances than I did now. Even though I feel I’m very mature for my age, I could have set money aside than being all in love and boo’d up. Prioritizing is key!
4. Not everybody is your friend. Friendships and relationships mean a lot to me. When I call you my sister, friend or brother, I mean it. It’s not often you trust anybody with your secrets and your loyalty. Throughout life, I’ve been let down or let go of friendships. I’ve learned throughout life; some people grow, some don’t.
5. Learn from your mistakes. Mistakes happen. It’s like when you keep doing the same routine, you’ll get the same results. Learning helps us be who we are as people today. Learning new things enhances our ability to do things we’ve never imagined doing.
6. It’s ok to cut off family. Family is everything, yes. But when a family is toxic and YOU need your peace, it’s ok to step back and cut them off. A family could be negative, but it’s better to protect your peace.
7. Self- love is the best love. I didn’t realize how important it was to love on yourself and actually take mental breaks until like last year. The importance of loving yourself and actually taking a break from life itself is life-saving. I decided to not feel bad when I called into work or even spending my own money on myself. Life is too short to not know yourself.
8. Stay a child as long as you can. Adult life is ugly. I want out! I remember playing with my Barbies and my Bratz dolls and now I’m paying bills. I feel like life moved so fast while I was going in slow motion. Now I’m telling kids 16 and 17 stay young as long you can cause I wish I was that age where I could’ve done things differently.
9. Look at the big picture. Getting older, I realized looking at details and the bigger picture can take you a long way. I’ve learned to look at things differently than to look at certain situations the same way. As you get older, your way of thinking changes.
10. Dare to be different. When I was younger, I caught myself trying to be apart of the “in crowd”. I wanted the Jordans, Nikes, and material things that made me look like everyone else. In reality, I couldn’t get jiggy with any of that. I was really a girly girl, but a sneakerhead at the same time. I was more of a Converse girl than anything.
11. It’s ok to say No. I didn’t realize I was a yes person until a close friend was telling me how I needed to say no to a lot of things and situations. She was also the friend to really tell me I needed to put myself first cause I was always thinking of other people before myself.
12. Changing my outlook. As I got older I realized I had to change the way I looked at certain things. It’s ok to alter your outlook. especially if it’s for the best.
13. Retail doesn’t care. Most of my jobs have been retail. Retail managers don’t care about what you have going on, all they care about is coverage and making money. Awkward lesson huh? But I guarantee you this lesson was hurtful cause you would think people would care.
14. Believe in yourself. Having faith in yourself is important. I didn’t believe I could do a lot of things. Start my blog was one. I was hesitant and nervous that nothing good would come from it. Without having faith in myself, I wouldn’t have my blog or be the person I am today.
15. Express yourself. Whether it’s to a trustworthy friend, a therapist, or someone you trust; make sure you express yourself. Don’t keep it in, it could get toxic and affect your health and mental state.
16. Cherish the small thing. I try not to take for granted cause I know one day I’m going to wish I would have done things differently. I love making memories with my loved ones and close friends. Even though it might not mean a lot to you it may with someone else.
17. Laugh now and laugh later. Laugh! It’s an expression that relieves stress. I loveeee laughing! I’m a very goofy person and laughter helps me daily. I use to be so uptight and just so blah, but I laugh when I can cause you may never know who may need some laughter in their life.
18. Don’t limit yourself.The word limit shouldn’t even be in your vocabulary unless it deals with finances. Limiting myself to only a certain standard made me miserable. Raise your standards.
19. Know your worth boo.
20. Force nothing. Last year, I lost friendships I valued and it hurt me to know that things turned out the way it did.But what will be, will be.
21. Don’t go backwards. Realizing it’s easy to back up because you’ve been in that place before. Moving forward is easier cause you have a fresh start, clear view, and something greater. Moving backwards could easily stop you from moving forward.
22. Live unapologetically.
23. Be kind.
24. Don’t dwell on the past, because the past will hold you back from your future.
25. JUST DO IT. Do whatever you want to do and put your mind to without any hesitation. Don’t dare hold yourself back from being somebody great!
Love, Gayla 💕